Monday, February 28, 2011

Go metric just for the hats


Wow, talk about northern weather. We couldn't leave for Victoria because the roads were so nasty, and races ended up being cancelled yesterday because no one on the lake could see where they were going. EM and I ended up taking the mutts up to Sowchea Bay and running through some beautiful bush trails which were cushioned by a foot and a half of fresh powder. My poor little brother agreed to set a trail for us on his new snowmobile, but came back with frostbite on both cheeks. Yikes. The run went well, even if some of the dogs were pretty squirrley; we saw two big bull moose and blasted through some punishing willow bushes.


After the race, everyone headed over to TH's for some pizza and a slide show of the weekend's events. I met a couple from Tagish, Yukon, who train puppies all winter for a big-name sprint musher up in Fort Nelson. They travel all over the place to compete and do really well. The lady kept telling me to enjoy my life as much as possible, as she had almost died four times and now tries to just live in the moment. She loves her job, which is pretty cool, but they don't get paid anything and they have to give up their dogs at the end of each season. I don't think that would appeal to me. Plus, the guy they train for was just disqualified from one of the year's biggest sprint races for punching and swearing at another competitor as his team was passing.


Before E and C headed back to Revelstoke, C showed me how to bake German bread, which is heavy but delicious. Two slices of that stuff and you're good for the day. I really hope to see those guys again, and maybe go on a camping trip or something. I just don't want to go back to Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment