Thursday, January 13, 2011

The way I'm livin', it's gonna cause my heart to ache, 'cause all the money I had is gone


I have a story to tell you. There are audiotapes online that feature a Cree man from Ontario named Louis Bird, who decided to present an oral history of his people before facts he considered vital to their culture are lost. Near the end of the tapes, he talks about Shamanism and the source of their "magic". And he says (I think I may have heard something about this before) that this power is actually due to the fact that these medicine men have developed, or perhaps heightened, extra senses. Like the sense of smell and touch, except these senses include a heightened sense of danger, or an intuition of some sort, the ability to see visions in their sleep that may help them to avoid harmful situations, being able to tell when a loved one is in danger, be they near or far, and a sense of direction. The link to the tapes is below; they're well worth a listen.


http://www.ourvoices.ca/index/ourvoices-story-action/id.0028

No comments:

Post a Comment