Sunday, January 9, 2011

I do not like Venn diagrams or green eggs and ham


Yesterday was a day full of promise, and today has been a day of slothfulness. I went to the house of an old family friend after work and had a delicious dinner. A full three-course meal with crab cake appetizers, a main entree of braised pork belly, polenta and steamed chard, and a dessert of individual chocolate sludge cakes drowned in whipped cream, accompanied by cocktails before hand, a strong red wine, and coffee afterward. Not your typical university meal, for sure. The house itself has undergone some recent renovations and now combines a modern feel with fireplace comfort. Eric, who owns the house, has a senior position in the now-imploding Ministry of Environment and has done a ton of research on wolverines. He explained how the current government has slashed positions and orchestrated some incredibly disruptive reorganizations within MOE within the past couple of months. Apparently, the Forest Service, which is an internationally renowned Ministry for the strong emphasis on research that it's maintained, is virtually defunct. I don't know enough about the recent cutbacks to form my own educated opinion on the issue, but Eric seems philosophically accepting about the whole situation, as well as being understandably frustrated. I respect and admire Eric a lot, so if he thinks that the changes warrant being worried, it may be a wise idea to follow his example.

But, yes. I had a bad case of heartburn last night which I suspect may have been food poisoning. I ended up sleeping propped up in bed because I was prone to throwing up if I lay down.

I just heard about an artist named Joe Average on the radio. That can't be a real name. I'm just killing time until The Vinyl Cafe comes on. I desperately feel the need for a Dave & Morley story this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment